The earliest known occupation of Riddipit Farmstead according to manor tenancy records dates back to 1565. Later in 1668 Nicholas Worth (1655 – 1699) was listed as a tenant and again in 1673 with his assumed business partner John Shillibeer. Later in 1740 Michael Worth, Nicholas’ son is listed to have been a tenant. The last tenant moved out in the mid 19th century leaving the site abandoned.
The name Riddipit is lost to history and does not appear on any modern maps. The site is located on the right hand side of the path from Leather Tor Clapper Bridge (previously Riddipit Steps, an arrangement of stepping stones across the river) heading towards the open moorland to the north running alongside the River Meavy previously known as Riddipit Lane. Very little remains of the site today, just ruins of the farmhouse walls. The remains are a scheduled monument and details may be viewed on the Historic England register – Entry Number 1021042. Further up the lane towards the open moors is a potato cave associated with the farm. This is on the right hand side over a stile in the modern forestry fencing. The potato cave is also a scheduled monument Entry Number 1021044. The area at the top of the lane where it breaks out from the wooded area onto the moors was known as Riddipit Gate. Multiple variations of the name Riddipit have been seen in records, including Reedapit, Redapit, Reedypit, Riddypit and Reddipitt.
The Dartmoor Explorations Website has more extensive documentation regarding Riddipit and photographs of the ruins at the site.